Post Formats


Amelia, Ohio

Capt. Thomas, the owner of Thomas Art Manufacturing, built his Victorian home on a 27-acre lot at 119 West Main Street, Amelia in 1898. Three-quarters of the house was built of Oak. The library was made of Walnut.

The second owner (1913) was Harvey Fuller who worked in the lumber business in Amelia. The house has a hidden closet/room, hidden shelves and cabinets which have lead to the legend that the house was a speakeasy during the Prohibition Era of the 1920’s and 1930’s. The house at one time had a basement garage and a tennis court on the east lawn.

The house had many owners/tenants over the year. In the 1950s Amelia Mayor Robert Groh took up residents. The McGill and Smith, Engineers and Architects, called the building home for a long period time. In the 1990s it became the Werline Studios, the studio for several artist. The Clermont Leadership Institute’s offices were in the building.

How To Find Your Family Tree

The Clermont County Historical Society is not the primary source of information on genealogy information. The Clermont County Genealogy Society fills this role. The Historical Society will check its archives for information we may have, but for information on deaths, marriages, cemeteries, etc. a much better source of information is the Batavia Branch of the Clermont County Library.(513-732-2128, and the Clermont County Genealogy Society (513-723-3423,