Amelia, Ohio

    Capt. Thomas, the owner of Thomas Art Manufacturing, built his Victorian home on a 27-acre lot at 119 West Main Street, Amelia in 1898. Three-quarters of the house was built of Oak. The library was made of Walnut.

    The second owner (1913) was Harvey Fuller who worked in the lumber business in Amelia. The house has a hidden closet/room, hidden shelves and cabinets which have lead to the legend that the house was a speakeasy during the Prohibition Era of the 1920’s and 1930’s. The house at one time had a basement garage and a tennis court on the east lawn.

    The house had many owners/tenants over the year. In the 1950s Amelia Mayor Robert Groh took up residents. The McGill and Smith, Engineers and Architects, called the building home for a long period time. In the 1990s it became the Werline Studios, the studio for several artist. The Clermont Leadership Institute’s offices were in the building.

  •  Or So The Survey Says

    From Amelia Village History, 2nd edition

    The Amelia Ohio of today originally was made up of four surveys done for the Revolutionary War soldiers who obtained the land in exchange for their service in that great conflict, or for their heirs and/or assignees in lieu of money owed to them. Survey 493 (Robert Gibbons), survey 511 (Robert Baylor), Survey 586 (Joseph Scott) and Survey 506 (Jim Catlett) all commonly ended up forming Amelia, but at one point in time a land attorney named Zachariah Chapman owned land in every one of these surveys. As a matter of fact, Mr. Chapman owned land in most, if not all of Clermont County’s townships.